The BD2K and Elixir Initiatives
Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) is a trans-NIH initiative established to enable biomedical research as a digital research enterprise, to facilitate discovery and support new knowledge, and to maximize community engagement. The BD2K initiative addresses four major aims that, in combination, are meant to enhance the utility of biomedical Big Data:
- To facilitate broad use of biomedical digital assets by making them Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable (FAIR).
- To conduct research and develop the methods, software, and tools needed to analyze biomedical Big Data.
- To enhance training in the development and use of methods and tools necessary for biomedical Big Data science.
- To support a data ecosystem that accelerates discovery as part of a digital enterprise.
Overall, the focus of the BD2K program is to support the research and development of innovative and transforming approaches and tools to maximize and accelerate the integration of Big Data and data science into biomedical research.
Many of the above aims overlap with those of Elixir, the European partner of BD2K. They share our mission to build an infrastructure to support data science training and education, and to promote data sharing and interoperability through a broad application of the FAIR principles.
The BD2K Centers-Coordination Center
The BD2KCCC supports the mission of the NIH Office of the Associate Director for Data Science (ADDS) by providing administrative support for the BD2K Centers program which includes the BD2K Centers of Excellence as well as the LINCS-BD2K Perturbation Data Coordination and Integration Center. We are engaging investigators across BD2K to promote collaboration among Centers, facilitate operations of Working Groups, and organize BD2K Centers consortium activities.
We welcome the input of all BD2K investigators, staff, trainees, or users of BD2K-created resources and tools in the broad scientific community. If you would like to contact us with any questions or comments please email email@example.com. Your inquiries may include, but are not limited to the following examples:
- If you are a representative of a BD2K program or a BD2K activity and you would like to be a contributor to our newsroom or event calendar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in participating in an existing BD2K Working Group or are interested in formulating a new Working Group, please email email@example.com.
- If you are interested in organizing or participating in a data science hackathon, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In parallel, the BD2KCCC aims to sustain the impact of BD2K achievement within the global biomedical community and the public domain through innovative solutions in resource indexing and knowledge management. BD2K Aztec is a new resource discovery platform, which brings a host of tools and webservices together to promote their dissemination and discoverability by the broad biomedical community.